Welcome to whatever is on my mind!

Some people use the term "nonsense" but I prefer to use the phrase "uncommonly sensed" because it's more reflective of creative types.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Common Sense

It’s been said that common sense is actually not all that common.  Some people believe that everyone has common sense but that a certain segment of the population just doesn’t use it.  If you’ve been reading my blog for any amount of time you know how I love nonsense, so this trait likely puts me in the group of people having uncommon sense.

As a member of this group, I’d like to help the rest of you understand why some of us appear to be lacking in common sense. Here are the top reasons why some of us don’t use common sense:

1.) We put all of our common sense in a really safe place and then forgot exactly where that was.

2.) We’ve treated it with rooting hormone, put it in a dark place, and are hoping to grow it into a sixth sense.

3.) We actually do have common sense, but we’re too modest to expose it publicly.

4.) The dog ate it.

5.) Someone else cleaned our bedrooms when we weren’t at home and the person accidentally threw out all our common sense because it looks like old pizza (which also explains why the dog would want to eat it).

6.) Common sense becomes cheap if everyone has plenty of it. Scarcity creates value.  You’re welcome.

7.) It accidentally fell in the toilet and we didn’t want to reach in and save it.  So we flushed. Wouldn’t you have done the same?

8.) It fell on the floor in a place where the three second rule does not apply.  So we left it there.

9.) It’s not in season and, therefore, would be far too cost prohibitive to import.

10.) We’re holding onto it in the hopes of driving up the market price, thereby saving our shares for an IPO so we can go public and get rich selling it.

I hope this helps creating better understanding between the common sense people and those of us who are uncommonly sensed.

16 comments:

  1. I love reading your blogs. They make me seem so much more sane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the first person to say that to me, but I still enjoy being appreciated! :)

      Delete
  2. LOL funny. I love it! My parents were Rocket Scientists with low quotients of said common sense. I inherited common sense, but not much of anything else. Still, I appreciate uncommon sense and it always touches my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told, I enjoy people with common sense, also. But sometimes I like to mess with them ;)

      Delete
  3. Cracked. Me. Up. Had me laughing out loud with 'Scarcity creates value. You're welcome.'

    I'm a common sense kind of gal, but raising teens sure has its moments. The absolute worst is when you find yourself spewing out phrases and questions that your parents used (and you swore you never would). Your post explains a lot, thanks.

    (linda@adventuresinexpatland.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I have teenagers, also. I think if I tried to use logic I would lose my mind arguing with them. This way I'm one step ahead.

      Delete
  4. LOL! #6 is HILARIOUS- and so true : ) ~ Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great post Amy! It reminds me of the Einstein quote, “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”

    Also of the one,“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”

    No doubt no one thinks exactly alike and the environment we live in usually dicates what is common sense to each of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found there are exceptions. I recently saw a local news story about a set of identical twins who just graduated from high school Valedictorian and Salutetorian with an .008 difference in their GPA's. I'm still wondering what they think of each other. :)

      Delete
    2. I can only guess that the situation increases their sibling rivalry!

      Delete
    3. Apparently...and they are not ready to give it up...they are both attending the same prestigious university.

      Delete
  6. Ha Ha! This post was great! I wasn't sure where you were going at first but all the reasons of 'misplacing' common sense was hilarious! Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when I get behind the wheel you never know where I'll take you. Glad you stopped by for the ride, Candace!

      Delete
    2. Amy, I love how you express yourself. Your sense of your own common sense is hilarious!

      Delete