A friend posted this meme on Facebook and it got me thinking that a lot of what applies to jazz also applies to life. So here are my thoughts on life and jazz this morning.
1. It exists in the moment. You can’t store it up or save it for later. It must be experienced now.
2. You have to constantly improvise for things to keep moving.
3. It’s always the right time to listen to others around you.
4. Everyone who wants it gets a chance to solo, if even for a brief moment.
5. It works best when everyone respects their peers.
6. You can jump back in and join the song at any time as long as you play well with others.
7. The more you play, the better you get.
8. If you’re dwelling on something other than the moment, things could train wreck. You can’t spend your time thinking about what happened at the beginning or trying to figure out where everything will end.
9. It’s beautiful when it’s done right.