Tuesday, November 20, 2012
A Season of Thankfulness
However, instead of listing 30 individual items or specific people, I thought I’d list the top 5 things for which I’m thankful right now.
1. The little things. Because so often little things turn out to be really big things. Like the smile from a stranger when you’re having the worst day of your life.
2. People who take the time to help other people even when they don’t really have the time to do so. The truth is that we’re all busy, but some people stop their hectic schedules long enough to put other people first. I’m thankful for these people.
3. That the past is gone. I’ve learned a few things and had some fun, but I don’t ever want to live in my past. I believe it’s almost always the quickest road to death.
4. The love of a good dog. While I love people, no one else thinks I’m wonderful after a two hour workout. My dog thinks I’m awesome no matter how much I stink and she’s not afraid to cuddle up with me. I think we humans could learn a lot about love from dogs.
5. Art in all forms. Nothing is more powerful or more beautiful than art done well. It has the potential to change the world or one person’s world forever. Literature, paintings, sculpture, photographs, dance, music, etc. The forms of art are as limitless as the potential because art can speak intellectually, emotionally and spiritually. Art may be the one universal language because of this.
This is my list. Yours may be different and that’s okay. But I think that if we could all experience a little of each of these things every day I think we’d see the beauty in life and remember to be thankful more often.