Welcome to whatever is on my mind!

Some people use the term "nonsense" but I prefer to use the phrase "uncommonly sensed" because it's more reflective of creative types.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Season of Thankfulness

A lot of people are doing “30 Days of Thankfulness” and listing one thing for which they’re thankful each day during the month of November. While some people find this boring, I think it’s a great exercise in remembering how we have so much to be thankful for.

However, instead of listing 30 individual items or specific people, I thought I’d list the top 5 things for which I’m thankful right now.

1. The little things. Because so often little things turn out to be really big things. Like the smile from a stranger when you’re having the worst day of your life.

2. People who take the time to help other people even when they don’t really have the time to do so. The truth is that we’re all busy, but some people stop their hectic schedules long enough to put other people first. I’m thankful for these people.

3. That the past is gone. I’ve learned a few things and had some fun, but I don’t ever want to live in my past. I believe it’s almost always the quickest road to death.

4. The love of a good dog. While I love people, no one else thinks I’m wonderful after a two hour workout. My dog thinks I’m awesome no matter how much I stink and she’s not afraid to cuddle up with me. I think we humans could learn a lot about love from dogs.

5. Art in all forms. Nothing is more powerful or more beautiful than art done well. It has the potential to change the world or one person’s world forever. Literature, paintings, sculpture, photographs, dance, music, etc. The forms of art are as limitless as the potential because art can speak intellectually, emotionally and spiritually. Art may be the one universal language because of this.

This is my list. Yours may be different and that’s okay. But I think that if we could all experience a little of each of these things every day I think we’d see the beauty in life and remember to be thankful more often.

3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post! Number five really resonated with me. Although I'm in Europe, I enjoy the idea of thanksgiving. We need to be thankful every day, but to have a time set aside where we focus on it is a good thing. Sorry for the commas!
    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment and for stopping by - best of luck with your new book, also - I hope it does well!

      Delete
  2. I love your list but I have a very naughty dog who won't walk with me on a leash. Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete